Saturday, August 29, 2009

Flight and Dia numero uno!

So I left Pittsburgh feeling nervous and yet excited for this amazing adventure that I was about to leave for. I couldn't even begin to explain to you how nervous I was about this trip and how much I questioned what I was doing and the timing and all. On the Wednesday, the day I left for JFK and eventually Hong Kong, I felt energized and excited to go.

My parents came to JFK to drop me off and I think that helped alot. I made some phone calls while we were sitting and having lunch but for the most part it was really wonderful to have company while I was sitting in the airport. They helped me with my luggage, which were both over 50 pounds, and that was definitely the best part.

Anywho, the flight over was pretty long but pretty nice. The flight from JFK to HKG is around 15.5 hours. I definitely passed out for the first 8 hours and watched the movie The Soloist and then about 7 episodes of Friends (Season 7). There weren't very many people on the flight so I got to spread out and really take advantage of my non-standby ticket. It went pretty fast, which I did not expect at all.

I got to HK on Thursday evening around 7pm. My first thought when I got into the jetway and then outside of the airport was "Ahhh. Its Hot and Humid!" My Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST, or UST as people here call it) buddy met me outside of arrivals and helped me get a Octopus card (MTR (like metro) and Bus card) HKUST. We went by bus to school which included one transfer and we stopped at a 7-11 on the way so I could get a new sim card (THANKS for the phone, Vijay!) and then continued on to the school! It took like 1.5 hours but not that much money, so definitely worth it. I couldn't really get my bearings when I first got here but I got to my room and pretty much immediately unpacked and quickly went online in the lobby to let my family (and friends!) know that I had arrived safely.

Here are a few pictures from flying over NYC and then the view as we were landing in Hong Kong.

NYC
And..on to HK!



These pictures don't do either place justice but it was absolutely gorgeous.
I'll post about my first full day and our Lantau Island tour soon!


0 comments: