Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Food

I thought I would give you the 411 on the food situation here. Let me just tell you that it has been an experience so far, trying to find food that I won't get tired of. It is difficult to find vegetarian food here. Which is probably why I am starting to miss the ease of access to veggie food more and more with each passing day. I hope that once I get into a routine, I will find a place where I feel comfortable eating. I really, really hope that that happens. I don't believe that what I will be eating for the next 4 months is going to be very healthy at all. Fried Rice, Fried Noodles over and over and over again. As I told you, Sumana and I have been splitting meals in order to 1) Not waste food and 2) to not waste money. It definitely has been working out but fried rice and veggies and egg in it cannot be a healthy meal. We found this cafe on campus that serves sandwiches and apparently atleast one type of Indian food a day. Its more expensive that your average cantine meal which is around 20 HKD or a little less than 3 USD. I think, I might need to treat myself to that atleast once a week because I am not exactly sure that fried rice is going to sustain me for four months.

I'll give you a run down of the food locations. There is the Cafe which a lot of international students go to. It has all sorts of things like smoothies and muffins and a bunch of different types of sandwiches and fries (which I REFUSE to eat while I am here) and things of that nature. There is LG1 (also called Cantine II) which looks pretty modern and is definitely a nice place to hang out but has just about only meat dishes. During the day, they sell starbucks and serve salads and cakes here too though. And even if you think it doesn't have meat pieces in it, it has fish or chicken broth which is just as bad (I have learned the hard way). Then there is LG5 which has a McDonalds (yuck) and several different lines that serve Thai, Japanese and Chinese style cooking. I have so far been having the Thai style friend rice (with a lot of chili sauce added because otherwise it has no flavor). Its not bad but definitely not something you can eat every day twice or day. Finally LG7 has three set menus that you can pick from. I haven't really eaten there but I do know that in the mornings they serve eggs in a western style. LG7 definitely reminds me of a High School cafeteria the most.

I am really trying to be healthy and I really want to work out while I am here but I am starting to think that unless I find some sort of well balanced nutritionalness its going to be a little more difficult to work out as often as I would like. I definitely feel more tired than I normally do. Hopefully that fixes itself as time goes on.

0 comments: