Sunday, September 6, 2009

Stanley Market, Victoria Peak and Mong Kok

So, I have been meaning to write this post for a couple days now. Seeing as I am getting behind, I figured I would go ahead and do so while I am not studying.

On Saturday, I met up with Sharon in the library and we headed to our meeting point with the rest of the business exchange students. There were a ton of people and I got to meet a couple more people through Sharon's friends and she got to meet some more people that I am friend's with. We had a light breakfast (mostly fruit) and then we got on the bus to go to Stanley Market where we would be able to go to the beach and walk around the market. The bus ride was 45 minutes to an hour in a different direction than I have been used to for the week and a half prior to this trip. We went through the mountains and hills and had some of the most amazing views. I think I might have captured a couple okay pictures, which I will post on picasa or facebook or something soon. To get to Stanley market we went winding around these mountains, past Central, past Ocean Park and Disneyland and through these sea-side towns that reminded me of the bus ride from Nice to Monaco where you see nothing but beautiful towns, buildings, winding roads, sea and mountain views.

We got off at Stanley Market and immediately tried to find a place to eat Lunch. After a pretty ridiculous search for relatively cheap vegetarian food we ended up at this pseudo Indian restaurant where Sumana and I split some Roti and a psuedo indian spinach dish. It wasn't bad but nothing like India or home but then again I am in China so I probably shouldn't compare things like that.

After lunch Kenbo (Sumana's buddy), Sharon, Sumana and I walked around the markets and found little things that we thought would be good gifts to people back home and potentially cheaper there than in Mong Kok.

An hour and a half later we got back on the bus and headed over to Victoria Peak to see the view of the skyline and spend the rest of our night wandering the city and into Mong Kok.

We got to the peak about 30 minutes of more winding, hilly paths and great views and we went up to the look out point to see the skyline. It was gorgeous. High-rises everywhere and in the middle of the city was the harbour. I don't think I have seen anything like it. I'll post a picture or two here and then you go see the rest on picasa, if you wish.

We took a bunch of pictures and I found my OSU friends and we took an O-H-I-O picture (completely necessary) at the top of the peak. There were definitely a bunch of people standing around us trying to figure out what we were doing.

After Victoria Peak, we headed down to Central on the Peak Tram (Most steep incline/tram ride I have ever taken! I highly recommend it.) and headed towards the MTR station to take a train under the harbour and in to Mong Kok to look around and see the markets (and take some night pictures).

We found a Thai restaurant to eat at (more Rice) and then walked around the markets. After checking everything out, and making a purchase we ended up at Hui Lao Shan, a famous desert restaurant in Hong Kong. They serve all sorts of deserts with really fresh fruit on them. I got mango ice cream with fruit on top. Probably the best desert that I have had while here.

After desert, we walked back to the MTR station and then took the minibus back to campus. Definitely a great day!

0 comments: