Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I guess I'll be in Hong Kong...

So after a bunch of scrambling and completely hectic and stressful attempts at planning trips it looks like, as of right now, that I will be here, in Hong Kong for the long weekend. I am a little bummed about it because I really wanted to utilize this long weekend to travel but it doesn't look likely with prices being shot through the roof. I am a little upset but I think it'll be okay. I mean, really though, I am in Hong Kong! How is that not awesome?
I think it just feels weird because a lot of people I know are traveling...like a lot of people. And I haven't even made one trip yet? Its a little frustrating but I think I am definitely, for sure, no doubts about it going to Beijing to visit Elizabeth October 22-27 no matter how expensive it is. Maybe I'll try and get a standby ticket or do something cool like take a night train from Beijing to Shanghai and spend the day in Shanghai and then fly back to Hong Kong. Who knows. All I know is that I want to do something exciting. But I guess this entire four months in a completely new environment, studying new things, meeting new people, learning about a new culture should be exciting enough and yet, its not.

Anyway, that has really been the last few days. I am still fasting and I'm still alive so no worries there. I think I might end up breaking my fast today. Its alot harder here, for some reason-probably because I am not with anyone else that is also fasting or anyone else that understands Navratri or wants to go to a Garba with me or celebrate how Gujaratis celebrate or really understand my desire to do this. I have always had someone around that gets it and sometimes is also fasting. Normally its my mom, in Pittsburgh, along with my friend Neha that understands why I fast and when I am in Columbus, its my friend Sonya (and my brother my first year) that truly understands and fasts with me. I guess I have kind of already been able to reflect on why I have been fasting. I think, especially here, I have truly come to realize how much my wants are satisfied in an instant. At home, it is so easy to say I want to eat X, Y or Z and I can satisfy that craving whenever I want, for the most part. But here, I can't do that as easily- I can't say I randomly want a bowl of soup (not that I really like soup) because the soup they have here has either fish broth or chicken broth. I can't say that I want any type of variety in my diet because that is just not possible here, especially not on campus, whereas; I have been able to find variety in Columbus and most definitely, at home, in Pittsburgh.

Don't get me wrong, people. I love it here. And it is such a fabulous place and some of the fried rice is really good but I think I would love it, just a little bit more, if I had my own kitchen- but I guess that is why this is an adventure, right?

0 comments: